In September 2012, the United States officially launched its Culinary Diplomacy Partnership Initiative. More than 80 chefs, including White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford, former White House Executive Pastry Chef William Yosses, and Spanish-born chef José Andrés, were named to be members of the “American Chef Corps.” The initiative is organized by the United States State Department Office of Protocol. One goal of the program is to send members of the Chef Corps to American embassies abroad on Publica Diplomacy Missions to teach about American cuisine.
Selected List of American Chef Corps – History
- José Andrés, Executive Chef and owner of Minibar, Jaleo, Oyamel, Zaytinia, China Poblano, é, Micasa, and America Eats Tavern
- Dan Barber, Executive Chef and co-owner of Blue Hill Restaurantand Blue Hill at Stone Barns.
- Rick Bayless, owner of Frontera Grilland star of PBS series Mexico- One Plate at a Time
- April Bloomfield, Chef at The Spotted Pigand The Breslin, and owner of two Michelin stars
- Cristeta Comerford, White House Executive Chef
- Duff Goldman, Executive Chef of Baltimore-Based Charm City Cakes
- Roland Mesnier, Former White House Executive Pastry Chef
- Marcus Samuelsson, Chef and owner of Red Rooster in Harlem, New York City
- Walter Scheib, former White House Executive Chef
- Ming Tsai, Chef at Blue Ginger and Television Personality
- Bill Yosses, Former White House Executive Pastry Chef